Riddles...

Anyone and everyone can post here.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

TitanicMustSink wrote:When I was going to Saint Ives, I met a man with 7 wives, each wive had 7 sackes, each sack had 7 cats, each cat had 7 kittens. Kittens, cats, sacks, and wives, how many where going to Saint Ives?
Well looking at the text in red they ask for who's GOING to Saint Ives so of those that they asked for there would be no one going to Saint Ives. If you're counting everyone going to Saint Ives it would be the person telling the story plus the man that he met unless the man that he met was leaving Saint Ives.
TitanicMustSink wrote:Buzz, hope you don't mind me putting one up after yours.
Noperz.
RoRo wrote:Ok, this is just a guess, but do you just combine both containers to get 8 gallons then dump half of the amount into the empty container so you are left with 4 gallons...
BOOM! RoRo's gone, anyone else. :p

Remember, there is no guessing involved, it can actually be done.
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
RoRo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by RoRo »

Dude!!! I so figured it out!! Ok...my first guess was based on the gallons of water not the water containers themselves...so do I get another guess???

Anyway, I'm making one anyway...

Ok, so you fill the 5 gallon container up and then pour three gallons from the five gallon container into the three gallon container, leaving the five gallon container with two gallons. Then you dump out the water in the three gallon container and pour the remaining two gallons that were in the five gallon container into the three gallon container. Then you fill up the five gallon container and pour out one gallon to fill up the three gallon container (that had two gallons) therefore leaving four gallons in the five gallon container... HAHA! Well, that's my victory laugh if it's right...but I'm pretty sure it is....I just don't know if I explained it right or not...
"If I had a star for everytime you brightened my day, I'd be holding the galaxy!" -Unknown
TitanicMustSink
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by TitanicMustSink »

TitanicMustSink wrote:When I was going to Saint Ives, I met a man with 7 wives, each wive had 7 sackes, each sack had 7 cats, each cat had 7 kittens. Kittens, cats, sacks, and wives, how many where going to Saint Ives?
Buzzman25 wrote:Well looking at the text in red they ask for who's GOING to Saint Ives so of those that they asked for there would be no one going to Saint Ives. If you're counting everyone going to Saint Ives it would be the person telling the story plus the man that he met unless the man that he met was leaving Saint Ives.
Ok, I think I might have said the riddle wrong, it's been to long sense I have seen the movie, but that's just how I thought it went. You both got it right really, it was the person telling the story, "As I was going to Saint Ives" But what I didn't think off is what Buzz said, out of the red text, none where going.

Me and J.
Person 1: Damn it! I just burnt myself with my cigar?

Person 2: Was it lit?
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

RoRo wrote:Ok, so you fill the 5 gallon container up and then pour three gallons from the five gallon container into the three gallon container, leaving the five gallon container with two gallons. Then you dump out the water in the three gallon container and pour the remaining two gallons that were in the five gallon container into the three gallon container. Then you fill up the five gallon container and pour out one gallon to fill up the three gallon container (that had two gallons) therefore leaving four gallons in the five gallon container... HAHA! Well, that's my victory laugh if it's right...but I'm pretty sure it is....I just don't know if I explained it right or not...
Yep! Congratulations you got 1 of the 2 possible solutions. :)

Anyone else want to give the second way a shot? :twisted:
RoRo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by RoRo »

Well, since everyone seems to be stuck on Shawn's Riddle, I'll throw in another one to keep ya thinkin'....

Ok, so there is a man who just bought a lot of land that is good land there are just a lot of dirt clumps in it. After hiring all the workers he needed to ready the land for farming, the man went out on his land one day to check on his workers progress. As he went around, he found that everyone was doing their job very satisfactory, loosening the soil so that it would be easier to til. Then, he found one of his workers trying to get other people to watch him attempt to climb to heaven with a pole. Of course this was impossible, the people thought who watched him, but they watched him anyway and laughed.
The employer however was furious and approached the "worker" and asked him why he was doing no work. The worker told the employer not to worry that everything would be done on time. However, later that day, as the employer (who i'm going to reffer to as Matt from now on...) went on his rounds, he found Bob (the worker) attempting the same thing. After questioning what was going on, Matt found out that Bob was trying to climb the pole to get to heaven. Matt of course was furious, but when he had questioned Bob about why he hadn't been doing his work, Bob replied "look around you, the land is all flat, the dirt clumps are gone." Matt was amazed to see that he was right, the land was as Bob had said. How did Bob do this so fast?

well, I think I said it right...if anyone else knows it..you can correct anything I either left out or wrongly added...
"If I had a star for everytime you brightened my day, I'd be holding the galaxy!" -Unknown
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Eric's wonderfully realist perspectives in the answer to these riddles three...He never answers a question but makes you think of your own question.

1)About the man with the cabbage wolf and goat:
What kind of head of cabbage can't fit in the lap of an old man while he carries a goat. And what the F**k is he doing with a wolf anyway?

2)About the gallon's of water: Why is your life on the line to find 4 gallons of water? You already have 8 in 2 good containers why louse it up.

3)About Bob and Matt on the farm: Screw how he did it so fast I want to know what kind of nutcase tries to climb a pole to heaven so I can get his ass fired.

And remember The glass is niether half full nor half empty...It's just a glass. 8) Ohh yeah and there is no spoon :wink:
RoRo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by RoRo »

1)About the man with the cabbage wolf and goat:
What kind of head of cabbage can't fit in the lap of an old man while he carries a goat. And what is he doing with a wolf anyway?
Well, honestly I couldn't answer that. I personally have wondered why he couldn't hold the cabbage in his lap, but ah well...I didn't write the riddle. However, I don't think the point of the riddle was to analyze it, the point was to test your thinking skills (or lack of :-) )

2)About the gallon's of water: Why is your life on the line to find 4 gallons of water? You already have 8 in 2 good containers why louse it up.
Again, the point is NOT to analyze why you would need to make exactly 4 gallons of water in a crisis situation, it is to again provoke that thing called thought, or that object in your head known as a brain (and I'm not reffering to the pseudo-brain discussed in previous conversation...)
3)About Bob and Matt on the farm: Screw how he did it so fast I want to know what kind of nutcase tries to climb a pole to heaven so I can get his butt fired.
LOL, I got ta hand it to ya that's pretty funny, and I would explain why he was trying to climb the pole to heaven, but it would give away the riddle... I suggest you use the brain I know is in there somewhere behind the scarcasm and all the sudden it will become clear... well, either that or the remaining question of whether or not you have a brain will be answered... j/k
And remember The glass is niether half full nor half empty...It's just a glass. 8) Ohh yeah and there is no spoon :wink:
There is no spoon?? Is this another refference to the Matrix??
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

RoRo wrote:However, I don't think the point of the riddle was to analyze it, the point was to test your thinking skills (or lack of :-) )
Unless it was a freak 50 lb cabbage my thinking skills are just fine. :wink:
RoRo wrote: Again, the point is NOT to analyze why you would need to make exactly 4 gallons of water in a crisis situation,
Ahh but it is the whole point in order to properly evaluate a crisis situation you must first analyze
1) which solution would be the most benificial (ie leaving the 8 gallons alone or wasting time to make 2 equal containers which creates no real benefit)
2) How to execute the solution in the quickest manner
3) Figure out how you got into the problem so it doesn't happen again.
RoRo wrote:I suggest you use the brain I know is in there behind the scarcasm and all the sudden it will become clear... well, either that or the remaining question of whether or not you have a brain will be answered... j/k
Well that's easy because when he kept sliding down the pole he packed the dirt down... I'd still fire him because it's not like he did some problem solving on his own accord.
RoRo wrote:There is no spoon?? Is this another reference to the Matrix??
You have to think outside of the box sometimes that's all. :wink:
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

First, to try and answer the riddle the guy trying to climb to heaven getting people come watch him because all the people walking around on all the dirt watching broke up all the clumps for him all he had to do was look foolish.

Secondly, you are the biggest ass Biggunna. The guy can't carry the cabbage in the boat at the same time he crosses with the goat because the goat would eat it, and knowing you you'd smack the goat and the goat would jump out and die leaving you with a head of cabbage and a wolf. Eat that cabbage because that wolfs going to own your ass when you try to kill it for meat. With that said BLOW ME ONCE!

About the water, watch Die Hard 3 and you'll see why. If you don't find out how to make 4 gallons of water (which is a specific weight) a bomb will go off killing you and everyone around you for blocks around. So unless you've put NOs on your car and have 450 HP car started and burning rubber out the door peaking 250 MPH you're screwed. BTW I have your car-keys and am not letting you run away from your responsibility to make 4 gallons of water to save lives, so START THINKING or we're all gonners....including your car. With that said BLOW ME TWICE!

Finally about the one about Bob, I agree. Anyone that is crazy like that and won't tell me in advanced what the hell they are doing we need to fire, either that or make sure he signs an agreement that the job will be done to your satisfaction for the same pay that all the other workers no matter how much over time he had to put in. If that's fine, then he can be crazy for a while, after that I'll not pay him and sue him. With that said...

stop being such an ass and read the questions over twice and three times if you need to. If you need more help ask the person who gave the riddle, don't just come in here swinging on your wang like you're tarzan!

Suck it. :p
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Buzzman25 wrote:Secondly, you are the biggest ass Biggunna. The guy can't carry the cabbage in the boat at the same time he crosses with the goat because the goat would eat it,
Why thank you...If you want to get all trivial about it the goat will only eat the cabbage when you are not there. How did you get the wolf not to eat the goat and the goat not to eat the cabbage in the first place. An old man surely would not slap a wolf and the goat is his best freind :P
Buzzman25 wrote:So unless you've put NOs on your car and have 450 HP car started and burning rubber out the door peaking 250 MPH you're screwed.
As long as it doesn't happen within the next 2 weeks when I try to get the Nitrous In(Nos is the poser phrase, like saying all computers are Dells.)All you really have to do is dump the 3 gallon and fill that empty container 1/3 full. And I never seen Die Hard 3 Double :P :P
Buzzman25 wrote: don't just come in here swinging on your wang like you're tarzan!
Suck it. :p
Ah ah hahaaa ahhh ahhh ha aahhhhh. Triple :P :P :P
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Biggunna wrote:If you want to get all trivial about it the goat will only eat the cabbage when you are not there.
Ok, even with that said and allowing you to carry the cabbage you still need to take the goat over and then the wolf, the cabbage can stay with you the whole time.
Biggunna wrote:An old man surely would not slap a wolf and the goat is his best freind :P
Um...so does this make you the old man? :twisted:
(If you don't get this, you aren't part of the inside joke. ;))
Biggunna wrote:As long as it doesn't happen within the next 2 weeks
We just walked up to the computer weighing scale and it started the countdown, start working.
Biggunna wrote:All you really have to do is dump the 3 gallon and fill that empty container 1/3 full.
There is a mathematical way to actually do it almost 100% perfect. I'm still waiting for the second way.
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

all this talk of goats is reminding me of the ren fair for some silly reason :wink: :lol: :twisted:
You're not your character class
You're not how much gil you have in the bank
You're not the airship you fly
You're not the contents of your item screen
You're not your fuggin' armor
You are the all fightin' all spellcasting heros of the world
RoRo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by RoRo »

LOL, man you two fighting is hilarious!! And yes, Shawn you got the right answer to the question! It is because all the crowds following him, braking up the clumps. Thank you for taking thought beyond the psudo-brain!! ;-)
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

ZER0 wrote:all this talk of goats is reminding me of the ren fair for some silly reason :wink: :lol: :twisted:
Hey Grant found the goat, lets get to work boys :rofl:
TitanicMustSink
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

it's alive?

Post by TitanicMustSink »

Hey somebody, this topic is dead, but I feel like bring more back to life...

Someone please, bring out the riddles, I have some, but got them from somewhere...that I don't feel is right to post, but I haven't gotten any good ones from anywhere else, so anyone else here heard any good ones...

me
Person 1: Damn it! I just burnt myself with my cigar?

Person 2: Was it lit?