Ceasar Chavez day

Anything interesting been happening around you? Anything in world news that you find interesting? Share with us!

Moderator: Super Moderator

BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Ceasar Chavez day

Post by BigGunna »

As a proud hispanic american I must say...

When the heck did we get another holiday? I went to hel... I mean the DMV today and it was closed because of it. Apperentley it's a government holiday. Did anyone else know of this? I don't remember celebrating it last year.
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

It's a new holiday as of this past year. It stumped my parents as well as they were going to go to the DMV as well.
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

I found out today as well when I was calling apartments to set up times to check em out for the move to Davis.
Being driven slowly insane... One moment at a time. :twisted:
Flamebo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Flamebo »

Who the hell is Cezar Chavez? Only time I've ever heard his name was on the Simpsons...his ghost gave Homer incouragment when Homer was on his hunger strike in the Isotopes ballpark.
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Flamebo wrote:Who the hell is Cezar Chavez?
Well, since several people have asked I looked it up for you.
http://www.cesarchavezacademy.org/faq.htm wrote:Who is Cesar Chavez?

Cesar Estrada Chavez was born March 31, 1927 near Yuma, Arizona. At age 10, Chavez began his life as a migrant farm worker when his father lost the family farm during the Depression. Chavez left school after the eighth grade to continue to help support his family.

He joined the U.S. Navy in 1945, and served in the Western Pacific during the end of World War II.

Chavez served as the Community Service Organization National Director in the late 1950’s, but his dream was to create an organization to help farm workers, whose suffering he had shared. Cesar Chavez founded and led the first successful farm workers’ union in U.S. history, the United Farm Workers of America, AFL-CIO.

In 1991, Chavez received the Aguila Azteca, Mexico’s highest award presented to people of Mexican heritage who have made major contributions outside Mexico. On August 8, 1994, Cesar Estrada Chavez became the second Mexican-American to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the United States. This award was presented posthumously by President Bill Clinton.

In the words of the late Senator Robert F. Kennedy, "he is one of the heroic figures of our time".
There ya go.
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

I just thought is was a really shitty street in san diego, go figure
You're not your character class
You're not how much gil you have in the bank
You're not the airship you fly
You're not the contents of your item screen
You're not your fuggin' armor