Tasers to be tested on cocain-drugged pigs

Anything interesting been happening around you? Anything in world news that you find interesting? Share with us!

Moderator: Super Moderator

dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Tasers to be tested on cocain-drugged pigs

Post by dementiastar »

This just sickened me. :evil: There is no excuse to kill innocent, intelligent, loving animals for ANY reason!

<b>Justice Dept. funding study, animal rights group opposes</b>

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:12 p.m. ET May 3, 2005

MADISON, Wis. - A professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison plans to study whether stun guns alone can kill pigs — or whether other medical factors are at play — as part of an effort to understand why 103 people have died in North America since 2001 after being shocked by Tasers.

Led by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, outraged animal rights activists are calling for an end to the two-year study by John Webster, a professor emeritus of biomedical engineering.

Police hail stun guns — particularly Tasers, the most widely used brand — as a less lethal way to restrain unruly suspects. But critics blame the weapons for dozens of deaths, and police departments are reviewing how they use the devices, which shoot two small darts carrying about 50,000 volts of electricity to temporarily paralyze people.

'SuperTaser' to be used
Webster wants to test his hypothesis that Taser-related deaths were the result of heart failure fueled by drug use and other medical factors, not electrocution by the devices. To do so, researchers will begin in the next month studying how Taser electrical currents flow through 150-pound pigs.

Of three groups of pigs in the study, one will be given cocaine, one will be shocked with the devices, and one will be given both cocaine and electric blasts. Some will be subjected to Webster's "SuperTaser," up to 30 times as powerful as the model police use. All pigs will be on anesthesia so they won't feel pain.

"If the hypothesis is correct that Tasers do not electrocute the heart, then why are people dying in custody after they have been shot by Tasers? The people on our team have hypotheses why that's true and we intend to answer that question," Webster said. "Our goal is to save lives."

Animal rights activists say the study, funded by a $500,000 U.S. Department of Justice grant, is cruel and unnecessary.

"Shocking more pigs is only going to add their numbers to the Taser-related death statistics," Patti Gilman, whose brother died after being shot with a Taser in British Columbia in June 2004, wrote in a letter to the school. "Robert's death never should have happened. And neither should these experiments."

Police and doctors could be served
In a letter to PETA this month, UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley said the study could have a significant impact on the use of stun guns. He said researchers have no other alternative than to use pigs, whose hearts are more like humans than any other species.

Webster said his research could lead to advice for how police should use the devices, standards for how powerful stun guns can be, and instructions for emergency room physicians on how to treat those who have been shocked.

Webster said one hypothesis is that some of the Taser-related deaths might be from a rare condition known as malignant hyperthermia, in which bodies essentially overheat. He will test that theory on swine that have been specially bred to have the condition.

Other suspects might have died if potassium that is released into the blood stream after muscle contractions caused by a Taser shock reached the heart, Webster said. Cocaine or other drug use might be another factor, he said.

Webster's research is the first independent look at how Tasers affect pigs' hearts. Research published in January sponsored by Taser International, the Scottsdale, Ariz.-based maker of the devices, found that 15 times the charge from ordinary stun guns was needed to electrocute the heart of even the smallest pigs studied.

Taser said Webster is well-qualified to study the devices, which it says are safe. The company says Tasers are being used by more than 7,000 law enforcement, military and correctional agencies in the world.

Pigs to be euthanized
While all the pigs will be filled with anesthesia, they will be euthanized after the experiments, said Webster, who estimated about 30 pigs would be used. The research could create a computer model that would eliminate the need for more animal testing, he said.

"I think this is an outstanding example of one of those questions that can only be answered using animals," said Eric Sandgren, a UW-Madison professor who heads a committee that oversees animal research. "Boy, there's been a lot of deaths from this. If the alternative is to go back to using bullets, let's find out how to make this safe."

That's a worthy goal, but researchers should instead study humans who have survived Taser shocks and autopsy reports of those who died, said Laura Yanne of PETA.

"Subjecting pigs to cruel experiments is not the way to go on this. It's so obvious," she said. "This is a half-million dollar boondoggle."

"I am allowed to sexually harass my boss."

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

She's right, I see plenty of coke heads around here. I can conduct my own experiments with a taser thank you very much. And it's cheap too, "Hey, I'll give you this cheeseburger if you let me shoot this at you"
-I don't need to prove my Machismo to anyone...I'll just kick their ass.
-Love everyone, trust no one.
-Live life like a sniper, you only get one shot so make it count
Andrea
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by Andrea »

This world can be so sick, especially to animals! Just because our brain are more developed gives us the right to abuse whatever we want whether it be animals, environment etc. Humans think they own this world, God does. Why do we feel the need to intervene with everything! Do humans not feel guilt? Or are most people too ignorant to know what they are eating! Well anyway, i am not trying to argue with anyone, just stating my opinion. Kera's article upset me a little because as you all know, i am an aimal rights activist. BTW kera, i am vegan again. Took me some time but now that I am working out and dieting it is easier to watch. I havn't eaten one animal product in 1 month continuing on! Next is to buy animal safe products and clothing.
Flamebo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Flamebo »

I am so letting my cat kill some birdies tonight. Funny thing about it is he doesn't eat um...just likes to fuck with um till their dead. Guess cats arn't much differant than humans. :twisted:

Mmmmm, protein!
Andrea
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by Andrea »

How did I know that someone on this site was going to say something along the lines of the opposite of what me and Kera were talking about. I even asked that no one reply like that, because I am tired of it. I have been an activist for like 2 years now and every time I say something about the way i feel SOMEONE has to say something really mean back because they don't have anything better to do. Or they'll say, "Mmm I love meat" or "I'm going to lie and say my cat has sex with birds to sound like i am cool but i only sound 5" it's one thing to disagree with us, but grow up and if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Sp please, if you're going to state a disagreement, then please do, that is what this site is for, but DO NOT say any rude comments please.. I am so tired of that happening..This is exactly why I hate people.
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

PLANT KILLER!

damn I want a steak now...
You're not your character class
You're not how much gil you have in the bank
You're not the airship you fly
You're not the contents of your item screen
You're not your fuggin' armor
You are the all fightin' all spellcasting heros of the world
dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by dementiastar »

DarksideZero wrote:PLANT KILLER!

damn I want a steak now...
AH HA! I figured out what your problem is!

did you know that some meats, especially beef, can stay rotting in your colon for up to a month?

Why doncha take that steak you're craving so badly, leave it out for a month to turn putrid and eat it that way! I'm sure you'll feel just the same...plus, it will be less work on your digestive tract!

Do me a favor and make sure your sarcasm is at least intelligent, OK? This aimless "let's offend the vegetarians" crap is old and worn out. You need new material.

--[same goes to flamebo, another vapid waste of oxygen with no sense of orginality.]--

"I am allowed to sexually harass my boss."

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

Well, as Buzz and I expected this topic would get hot fast. I'm locking down the topic before it gets more heated then it already is.

On a side note from the resident Hospital Corpsman:
No matter your diet. Make sure you monitor your daily intake of vitamins and protiens and such. Its not hard to take a multi-vitamin if you find you are not getting enough.
Being driven slowly insane... One moment at a time. :twisted: