more or less FTP ?'s

Do you have any burning questions on your mind of how to do something, or what is a better way? Feel free to ask any questions about web design, programing, and computer related questions, and we'll be more then happy to try and help!

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

more or less FTP ?'s

Post by dementiastar »

so..i finally got hosted and i know how to ftp files and what not (i'm using aceFTP)
but i don't know how to make actual pages (like, my url is http://keralenore.self-degradation.net ) but i can't figger out how to upload actual content to the URL rather than seeing just the parent directory. if what i wrote meade ANY sense at all....
help? please?

"I am allowed to sexually harass my boss."

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Uhhh, well...

When you log into your FTP program you'll want to enter in the username, password, and hostname or ip address of your uploading server.

Once you've gotten those 3 things in, you then can connect. Once you connect most likely you'll open up into a default folder that is your main folder which is not viewable on the internet. There are amany uses for this but we'll just skip that and see if we can fix your problem.

Once you are in the parent directory you then need to click on the www or htdocs folder.Once you have clicked that you should now see your cgi-bin and images folder. If you see these folders when you first log in your host does not allow you to have an external folder and you xan disregard this last paragraph.

Once you are logged in and you know where you want to upload your file you simply select the file that you wish to upload to the folder and click upload. Once uploaded you can refresh your homepage on your web browser and you should at that time see it.

If this does not work let me know. Possibly I'll get your info and log in for myself to see if I can get it to work for me, then tell you what I did. :)
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by dementiastar »

i think u might needa log in b/c i have no idea how to view the uploaded html page versus the parent directory. i know how to make subfolders and what not (like "/images/blahblah.jpg" and "/art.html") but the main URL is still using the parent directory page and i don't know where the f--- i needa upload an HTML file to get http://keralenore.self-degradation.net to have content other than the PD.
if you need to login, let me know, i'll IM or email the info to you.
thanks

"I am allowed to sexually harass my boss."

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Send it on over and I'll look at it when I get back home sometime Monday night.
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03