Site Hacked -> April Fools?

Anyone and everyone can post here.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Site Hacked -> April Fools?

Post by Buzzman25 »

You know, it's kind of weird that today is April Fools day and late last night (or today for some people) my site was hacked. I'm kind of wondering if someone who was bored went around to several websites and hacked them just to hack them for April Fools. Seriously someone should have said April Fools after doing the hack. It would have made it funnier.
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
Nitric
Welcome the N0obie!
Welcome the N0obie!

Post by Nitric »

dude? WTF?^^ what happened to the site?
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Someone hacked into my site and took it over.

It wasn't anything too bad that I couldn't fix, so I did, but when they went and started probing my server again to find another open hole I changed the site completely to this more secure version. This basically utilizes phpBB's security features but still allowing you to have somewhat of a CMS.

I still have all the data from PHP-Nuke, so don't worry, it's not lost, it's just not visible. PHP-Nuke, for as long as I've had it, has sacrificed security for portability. This has never been a problem for me because I'm small time, however, once I officially got hacked, it pissed me off.

I'll be sticking with mxBB until phpBB 3.0.x Olympus comes out. Once that's out we (and by saying we I mean the people on the phpBB area51 test site) are hoping that they release a CMS portal version directly from the source. With the phpBB team coding and valuing security I see a very strong, stable, secure CMS coming out. PHP-Nuke took phpBB's code, and stripped out what I thought was some important security features, to make their system work. Also, when a patch came out, you either had to update your own code or wait till another patch came out for nuke. This delay in time allowed people who found out about the exploit on phpBB's site, to exploit it on anyone running PHP-Nuke.

I could go into a lot of reasons why I have wanted to switch off Nuke, but I'll just leave you with what's been said above. I absolutely loved nuke, worked for me for the longest time and still works for me on several other sites, and it's a breeze to code your own modules, but once a site gets hacked, it's time to re-access.

Any who, I want anyone and everyone to post what they liked about PHP-Nuke so I can see how I can implement it here. Did you like the journals? I'm thinking about how to re-implement that, I thought it was pretty cool. Let me know your thoughts.
Nitric
Welcome the N0obie!
Welcome the N0obie!

Post by Nitric »

I liked the front page with the news and stuff, and the color scheme, this bright stuff sucks!

other than that, this is ok.
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Yeah, the bright colors do suck, so I have added one more theme that's darker in color. Just go to your profile and choose the other one that isn't subBlue.

At the current time these are the only 2 colors that I'm going to have because there's not much point to create a new color scheme just to change it all over again in a few months when the new board comes out.