Anyone and everyone can post here.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

Flamebo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Bali-song

Post by Flamebo »

Hey,
Are bali-song (butterfly) knives legal in CA, USA?

I've heard not, but I want to buy one......come on Shawn, YOU of all people should know this... =) hehe

erK
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

Butterfly knives are illegal in CA per Buzz
Being driven slowly insane... One moment at a time. :twisted:
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
Flamebo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Flamebo »

Anything capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon is illegal.
WTF- my dick is now an illegal weapon!!!! someone call the cops, I'm violating my probation!!!

Damn CA and these dumb laws, I'll get my knife illegaly, and when I'm 21 I'll get my pistol legally!

This is why I wish Shawn owned a private island...that and nekkid natives........MMMMMmmmmm, Nekkkid Natives /drool

lalala anywho check out http://www.balisongworld.com
cool assortment there.

erK
Flamebo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Flamebo »

http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html

OK, the way I understand the law...

Is that a butterfly knife is NOT a switchblade. Its a nonlocking folding knife, which are legal to carry conceeled while CLOSED, or open-carried. What do you guys think?

See Below for parts of the actual law that I found.

653k: Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.

For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.

And

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses...any ballistic knife...any nunchaku...any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken [ed: "throwing star"]...any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag. [Ed. Note: this is the paragraph covering "what you cannot own at all" - some of it is downright weird. Plastic/ceramic knives that can go through a metal detector are also banned somewhere in PC12020.]
(4) Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger.
(24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position. [Ed. note: so if it's a PC653k-legal knife, and it's carried concealed while folded, it's not "readily available" and therefore doesn't meet the "dirk or dagger definition". ONLY "dirks or daggers" need to be open-carry.]
25(d) Knives carried in sheaths which are worn openly suspended from the waist of the wearer are not concealed within the meaning of this section.
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

which can be released automatically by a...flip of the wrist
Sorry man, that's a butterfly knife. :?

However, it looks as long as it is less then 2 inches in length you might be able to cary that.
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

The worst thing that can happen to you is a Buzzman fumble... or you can just have it confiscated like me.

Plus I think you might also have a problem with shipping, most double sided daggers and butterfly knives and brass knuckles are a "no ship" to CA, MA and NY just some FYI for you.

PS: Hey Buzz remember a few years back in Reno we got through the airport terminal with my 4 inch blade folder... But in Hollywood I coudn't take a pen into the club. That was of course before 9/11 goes to show how careless we were back then.
Flamebo
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Flamebo »

For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife...
I'm thinking this line would get me off in court. A butterfly doesnt "look" like a pocket knife, and if it's supposed to this line is deffinatly open to interpritation. So..

A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.
Therefore, in my pocket closed...A-OK!

But anyhow here is my new baby, I wasnt told it couldnt be shipped when I ordered it, so I hope I'm ok. Go UPS ground!

4 1/4" blade (so no matter what its illegal in LA, I still gotta check Riverside local laws)

erK
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

Flamebo wrote:
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife...
I'm thinking this line would get me off in court. A butterfly doesnt "look" like a pocket knife, and if it's supposed to this line is deffinatly open to interpritation. So..
I don't believe it will work as a pocketknife can be viewed as any knife that fits in your pocket. There isn't a set look or appearence.

A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.
Therefore, in my pocket closed...A-OK![/quote]

LOL I don't think officers will see it that way :lol:

But anyhow here is my new baby, I wasnt told it couldnt be shipped when I ordered it, so I hope I'm ok. Go UPS ground!

4 1/4" blade (so no matter what its illegal in LA, I still gotta check Riverside local laws)[/quote]

Ya know I really like it. Looks pretty cool. If you don't carry it on your person and just leave it at home and buy a few more knives, not sure how many you have, you could claim your a collector if things hit the fan. That has a good possiblity of getting you off the hook.
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

MaudDib125 wrote:buy a few more knives, not sure how many you have, you could claim your a collector if things hit the fan. That has a good possibility of getting you off the hook.
Didn't work here. And I had the amount of knives to prove I was a collector!

Just quote MR. STRIKER, "You can't arrest me...I'm Drill Team!"
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

Buzzman25 wrote:
MaudDib125 wrote:buy a few more knives, not sure how many you have, you could claim your a collector if things hit the fan. That has a good possibility of getting you off the hook.
Didn't work here. And I had the amount of knives to prove I was a collector!

Just quote MR. STRIKER, "You can't arrest me...I'm Drill Team!"
Difference in my thinking and yours is this. I was suggesting you not carry the knife, much less your whole collection. That way if you ever do get caught it would be due to a warrent and it would be arguable. If your carrying it on your person that suggests that your going to use it thus you fall under different motives then just collecting.
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

MaudDib125 wrote: Difference in my thinking and yours is this. I was suggesting you not carry the knife...
What are you crazy or something? Not packin is like not using a jimmy hat.With the DOW where it is now who knows when something is gonna jump off.
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

BigGunna wrote:
MaudDib125 wrote: Difference in my thinking and yours is this. I was suggesting you not carry the knife...
What are you crazy or something? Not packin is like not using a jimmy hat.With the DOW where it is now who knows when something is gonna jump off.
Well I am not saying do not carry a knife. That would be hypocritical. I am merely saying you should not carry an illegal knife. Buzz can back up what happens if you were to carry an illegal knife and get caught.
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

yep the flip of a wrist line puts the switchblade in the illegal 653k catagory
A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position
Therefore, in my pocket closed...A-OK!
nope not A-ok, that line only applies to non 653k types and your butterfly knife is in that category because it can be pulled out and opened with a flick

so basically to sum all that legal talk up, and knife that is permanently out, or any folding knife that can be opened fast is illegal to carry, so even with that baby folded up in your pocket you get a misdemeaner

from what I understand though owning the knife isn't illegal just
possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
so just as long as you never take it out of your house its fine.... aka the collector theory, you can have whatever the hell you want you just can't use it
You're not your character class
You're not how much gil you have in the bank
You're not the airship you fly
You're not the contents of your item screen
You're not your fuggin' armor
You are the all fightin' all spellcasting heros of the world
Jolt_Commander
Welcome the N0obie!
Welcome the N0obie!

Post by Jolt_Commander »

Damn feds. All of the damn laws that they make, most of them I'm sure condrict each other. Oh well there's the damn US for ya, soo much freedom but soooooo, many laws, couse I'm sure all most of them are in for it for is the money.