I have a question

Like to listen to music? Does it soothe your soul? Let us know about the music you like and maybe expand the horizons of others!

Moderator: Super Moderator

Andrea
Active Listener
Active Listener

I have a question

Post by Andrea »

i am going to list band names and i would like to know what everyone thinks of them.. (they're mainly pop/punk)

New Found Glory:
Starting Line:
The Used:
Story of the Year:
Dashboard Confessionals:
Finch:
Rufio:
Afi:
Sugar Cult:
Yellowcard:
AAF:

It's a long story on why but just answer please!
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I have a question

Post by Buzzman25 »

You know, I've heard of some of these, but really have not had anyone loan me their CD's. I have heard Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue and it kicks ass!
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by dementiastar »

New Found Glory: The lead singer REALLY needs to hit puberty and they annoy the shit out of me.
Starting Line: Never heard 'em.
The Used: I think they broke up, but i wasn't really into them.
Story of the Year: WAY over played and given way too much credit for their limited talent. Theyt sound no different form anyone else.
Dashboard Confessional: I like a few of their songs....i wouldn't join their cult, tho.
Finch: Never heard their music, but I've heard of them.
Rufio: I've only heard one of their songs and I like it...it came with a free sampler CD I got.
Afi: OLD AFI--[like back in the days of "Answer That and Stay Fashionable]--kicks ass. They've become sellouts now tho. And they put up a HORRIBLE stage presence. Davey Havok needs to learn some new body movement outside of shaking his ass and flipping his hair. They're songs are too overly "Emo-Goth-I'm Pretty so give me all your money," now.
Sugar Cult: "Pretty Girl" was a great song and I'm sad to see that they couldn't hold that orginal sounding style.
Yellowcard: Saw them open for AFI and wasn't impressed. Ocean Avenue--[which will inevitably be their only DECENT single due to the fact that someone in their band plays a vilolin]--is an OK song, but it's only DL worthy, not "go out and buy the CD' worthy.
AAF: When a band's first single is a COVER song that shows some lack of creativity. Although I like the cover of smooth criminal, and I enjoyed they entire album. The lead singer has a great smile too.

"I am allowed to sexually harass my boss."

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

New Found Glory: never heard
Starting Line: never heard
The Used: never heard
Story of the Year: never heard
Dashboard Confessionals: never heard
Finch: never heard
Rufio: never heard
Sugar Cult: never heard
Yellowcard: never heard
AAF: I like AAF, thier bass player is one of the best to come around in a while..... ya know a lot of times the band doesn't get to pick the singles... the company tells em this is the single now play.... hell a lot of bands I like started on cover songs
Afi: never heard em till recently, just "girls not grey" liked the vid liked the song.... liked the style... but I don't know a lot about the bands history and shit.... but ya know what, just cause a band suddenly becomes more well known, and popular doesn't mean they sold out, and just cause ya sold out doesn't mean you suck, and selling out not really a bad thing even... hell Sabbath sold out, Pumpkins sold out, F--- even the cure sold out when you think about it....
You're not your character class
You're not how much gil you have in the bank
You're not the airship you fly
You're not the contents of your item screen
You're not your fuggin' armor
You are the all fightin' all spellcasting heros of the world
dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by dementiastar »

DarksideZero wrote: AAF: I like AAF, thier bass player is one of the best to come around in a while..... ya know a lot of times the band doesn't get to pick the singles... the company tells em this is the single now play.... hell a lot of bands I like started on cover songs
Afi: never heard em till recently, just "girls not grey" liked the vid liked the song.... liked the style... but I don't know a lot about the bands history and shit.... but ya know what, just cause a band suddenly becomes more well known, and popular doesn't mean they sold out, and just cause ya sold out doesn't mean you suck, and selling out not really a bad thing even... hell Sabbath sold out, Pumpkins sold out, F--- even the cure sold out when you think about it....
I knew that about record companies, but bands do have other options as far as releases go, even if they are small and not always the best. Record company picks often result in almost always one-hot-wonder-stardom; even if a band releases a follow-up single, it never quite tops that first release. And if the first album turns out to be a hit with several good singles, it takes a bit more effort to get that glory back with follow-ups. My friend's BF's band are trying toget back what they had in '99 by having Pam Anderson do another video for them, and I can only hope that it works for 'em they're an awsome band!

Selling out is different when you're in a punk band. Especially when you start out sounding one way and then change your style entirely for promotional reasons.
Selling out=doing something you DON'T want to do for money.

The Cure were not sell outs, but BS and the pumpkins sure as hell were!

"I am allowed to sexually harass my boss."

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
Andrea
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by Andrea »

I second that, The cure were never sold outs.. I think the number one sold out i have ever heard is Limp Bizkit.. Yep.. Bad sold outs..