Those 10 commandments

"Pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results." James 5:16

Moderators: TahoeJazzLover, Tessababes, Super Moderator

Tessababes
Active Listener
Active Listener

Those 10 commandments

Post by Tessababes »

For those who would like to know about the 10 commandments

What do they really mean:

1. "No others gods"- exodus 20:3
I put gos first in my life.

2. "No idols" - exodus 20:4-6
No person or thing is more important to me than God

3. "Do not take Gods name in vain" - exodus 20:7
"God" isnt an empty word to me. I use his name only in a loving way, and I count on him to help me everyday.

4. "Keep the Sabbath holy" - exodus 20:8-11
Each week has a special day set aside just for worshiping and praising God, for reading his Word and for getting together with other BELIEVERS

5. "Honor my father and mother" - exodus 20:12
I show respect for my parents by listening to them and trying to please them

6. "Do not murder"- Exodus 20:13
I know life is precious. I take a stand against anything that hurts the life or well-being of others.

7. "Do not commit adultery "- exodus 20:14
I show respect for the oppose sex by keeping my thoughts and my actions pure and by remembering that sex is God's gift to MARRIED couples.

8. "Do not steal" -exodus 20:15
I refuse to take or keep for my own use what doesnt belong to me; "borrowed" clothing or money, test or homework information, whatever.

9. "Do not give false testimony"- exodus 20:16
I know a persons reputation is valuable, and I refuse to lie or gossip about anyone.

10. " Do not convert"- exodus 20:17
I like other for themselves, not because they have stylish clothes or the right haircut. I dont think my own value depends on what I have or what I wear.

(This is taken from the New International version of Teen study bible. All credit to them)
"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you"

"Whatever I face, God is with me"

"Girl, recognize game before game recognizes you!!"-Chingy

"Hey dont hate the player, hate the game!!"- Will Smith and Tessa!!
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Well since you put it that way how about 6... 6 comandments hah ah ah.

But seriously, I'm a spiritual person but I think many of those those are open for interpretation. It can even be stated that this was Old testement thinking. I don't want to get into a theological debate about it however. I think the main idea is, Not to scheme in any of these things.
TahoeJazzLover
Active Listener
Active Listener

What did Jesus say the 10 Commandments meant?

Post by TahoeJazzLover »

What did Jesus say the 10 Commandments meant?

The Ten Commandments said “You shall have no other gods before me�
Jesus said :“Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only�

The Ten Commandments said:“You shall not make for yourself an idol�
Jesus said: “No servant can serve two masters�

The Ten Commandments said: “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God�
Jesus said: “Do not swear at all; either by heaven, for it is God’s throne...�

The Ten Commandments said: “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy�
Jesus said: “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath�

The Ten Commandments said: “Honor your father and your mother�
Jesus said: “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me�

The Ten Commandments said: “You shall not murder�
Jesus said: “Anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment�

The Ten Commandments said: “You shall not commit adultery�
Jesus said: “Anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart�

The Ten Commandments said:“You shall not steal�
Jesus said: “If someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well�

The Ten Commandments said: “You shall not give false testimony�
Jesus said: “Men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken�

The Ten Commandments said:“Do not covet�
Jesus said: “Don’t be greedy for what you don’t have�

God wrote His laws on the conscience of our hearts. We know right from wrong, but we can't help from sinning... it's in our nature. The more we know God's law, the clearer it becomes that we aren't obeying it.

How do we really know anything until we read the directions? :wink:
The greatest thing that you will ever learn
is just to love, and be loved in return.
-Nature Boy Eden/Ahbez
TahoeJazzLover
Active Listener
Active Listener

why do we have those commandments anyway?

Post by TahoeJazzLover »

Most of us think God gave the law to the human race to keep us from doing wrong and to make us do right. If you ask someone what was the purpose of the Ten Commandments, he would probably say, "It is to keep us from doing wrong." But this is not the reason the law was given.

God never dreamed for a moment that the law would keep anybody from doing wrong. The reason the law was given is explained in Romans: "Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law..." Why? "... so that every mouth may be stopped. and the whole world may be held accountable to God." (Rom. 3: 19)

That is the reason the law was given in the first place. It was given to man to reveal the sinfulness of his acts. Because there is this amazing faculty about the human heart: we never think that what we are doing is wrong. It is always what the other person does that is wrong, isn't it?

It's remarkable the different expressions we have for this. We have a whole category of words that use apply to things we do and quite a different set for what everybody else does. Others have prejudices---we have convictions. Others are stingy---we are very thrifty. Others try to keep up with the Joneses---we are simply trying to get ahead. And so it goes all the way down the line.

Now what does the law do? Well, the law comes in and applies the same terms to everyone. The law says, "You shall not murder. You shall not steal. You shall not covet. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength and have no other gods."

The law is impartial - it applies to everyone. When we are confronted with the law of God, we can no longer deceive ourselves. We have to admit that what we are doing is wrong. God said that the law was given so that every mouth might be stopped. There is nobody who dares to stand up to God and say, "Well, others may be wrong, but right here you've got someone that leads a good, clean, moral life." The law says "No! All have sinned and come short of the glory of God." (Rom. 3:23)

When we hold up a mirror or the Ten Commandments and look in, we see our reflection and it makes us realize how much we need a Savior.

I know I do. :D The good news is He is just a prayer away.
The greatest thing that you will ever learn
is just to love, and be loved in return.
-Nature Boy Eden/Ahbez