NBA Playoffs!

I dunno what to say here, I don't watch many sports but MR.STRIKER and MaudDib125 thought it would be fun.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

NBA Playoffs!

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Nets Take Two, Series Heads to Boston
The Nets held serve on Wednesday night, posting a 104-95 Game 2 victory over the Celtics in New Jersey for a 2-0 series lead. Jason Kidd sparked the Nets with 23 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists, while Paul Pierce recorded a triple-double for Boston, which hosts Game 3 on Friday night (8 ET, TNT).
All I have to say about this is, that the Celtics better get off their butts and win this series and go all the way. A good Christmas present to me is to see the Celtics play the Kings and have this go to game 7 with a victory by the Celtics!

Pistons Rev Engines
The Pistons showed no ill effects from their seven-game first-round series, winning 98-87 Tuesday in the opener of their semifinal matchup with the Sixers. Detroit's Chauncey Billups scored 24 points before leaving with an ankle injury

Lakers Leave Texas Empty-Handed
The Spurs took a 2-0 series lead on Wednesday night, hammering the Lakers 114-95 in San Antonio. Bruce Bowen scored a career-high 27 points for the Spurs, who led by as many as 33 points. Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal had 27 points apiece for L.A., which hosts San Antonio in Game 3 Friday night (10:30 ET, TNT)

I better see the Lakes get sweeped in this series. I hate the Lakers more than I hate the Bulls, they better not make it!!! The greatest moment of these Playoffs was when Utah lost! I hate the Jazz too. Well die a fast death Lakers

Royal Rout
Peja Stojakovic scored 26 points to lead six Kings in double figures as they stole home-court advantage with a 124-113 victory over the Mavs on Tuesday to open their Western Conference Semifinal series. Sacramento, which shot 55 percent from the floor, will try to take a 2-0 lead Thursday in Dallas (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN).
As the wicked stand confounded, Call to me; with thy saints surrounded.
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

*chants* Lakers Lakers gooooooooo Lakers

For the last few years it really hasn't mattered about the East coast playoffs because they will get sweeped by the West. But I'm thinking the Celtics will make it to game 5.

Since rolling over the Sacramento Queens The Spurs are unstoppable, my bookie intuituon says that the next game will be a LA victory +15 but I've yet to call how many games. Since they have our best all around guys George and Fox benched it might be wise to play less aggresively because the Spurs seem to be hitting everything from the outside. But in my heart I've been a Laker fan since Magic and Sally, I was a Laker fan when the Bulls had their run. I am a Laker fan weather they win or lose.
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Nick Does Trick, Mavs Get Even
Nick Van Exel sparked an offensive explosion in Game 2 on Thursday as the Mavs routed the Kings 132-110 in Dallas to even up their West semifinal series at 1-1. Van Exel had 36 points for the Mavs, who set an NBA playoff record with 83 first-half points. Chris Webber and Bobby Jackson left with second-half injuries for the Kings, who host Game 3 at 9:30 p.m. ET Saturday (ESPN
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Good Night, Sweet Prince
Rookie Tayshaun Prince delivered the knockout punch in Game 2 on Thursday night, spinning free for a game-tying bucket to force OT and scoring seven points for Detroit in the extra session as the Pistons edged the Sixers 104-97 to take a 2-0 series lead. Game 3 is 7 p.m. Saturday night in Philadelphia (ESPN).
Sunshine
Troll
Troll

Post by Sunshine »

Yes go the great sport of Baseball! No football! or whatever you guys are talking about. Why do we really watch sports? I mean I know I dont get all excited to watch people who make to much money run across courts and fields hitting eachother when the rules and point of the game is just dumb. Who can sit there and memorize the rules to all those games. I went to the 3rd game of the Suns and the Spurs series, and you now how lost I was? My dad played good money to sit there and take me to a game and explain to me how the game works. That was a waste cause everything just went over the head. Theres to much to know! PLus its not that interesting... I mean theres so much more thats fun! Yeah I think thats right...
Nobody is a virgin. Life screws us all.
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Sixers Answer Back in Philly
Allen Iverson scored 25 points in Philadelphia on Saturday night as the Sixers posted a 93-83 Game 3 victory, cutting Detroit's series lead to 2-1. Kenny Thomas added 10 points and 14 rebounds for Philadalphia, which hosts Game 4 at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday (TNT).
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Nick at Late Night
Nick Van Exel scored eight of his 40 points in the second overtime as the Mavericks edged the Kings 141-137 Saturday night to take a 2-1 lead in their semifinal series. After a good night's sleep, the teams meet again Sunday (10:30 p.m. ET, TNT).
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

Sunshine wrote:Yes go the great sport of Baseball! No football! or whatever you guys are talking about. Why do we really watch sports? I mean I know I dont get all excited to watch people who make to much money run across courts and fields hitting eachother when the rules and point of the game is just dumb. Who can sit there and memorize the rules to all those games. I went to the 3rd game of the Suns and the Spurs series, and you now how lost I was? My dad played good money to sit there and take me to a game and explain to me how the game works. That was a waste cause everything just went over the head. Theres to much to know! PLus its not that interesting... I mean theres so much more thats fun! Yeah I think thats right...
Well I had a full on response to this all planned out but now that I am drunk I can't think of it so here is the short and sweet version! A lot of people like these sports and really enjoy them. I bet your father is one of them! So next time your at a sporting event don't be selfish and think about yourself. Think about how everyone here knows the rules to baseball, football, basketball, and probly soccer and a few other sports as well. They are not divided by race or sex either. Its all about the GAME! To you its a waste of time but to us its our past times.
Being driven slowly insane... One moment at a time. :twisted:
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

As far as the sports debate, it's just another form of entertainment. I think it mainly stems from the freindly competiton. But you don't have to watch, Just get in on the wave when it comes around or yell and scream when everyone else does. I myself can only watch Raider or Laker games and Boxing. Horse races are cool sometimes and I'm glued to the TV when Le Mans or other GT/Autocross competitions come on. Oh what was I going to say....1 word 2 sylablles LA-KERS

That outburst in game 3 by Jack Nicholas was brilliant. After that the home scoring record shot up tremendously.

In other news The Sacramento QUEENS choked last night.
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

In other news The Sacramento QUEENS choked last night
In other news I have given you cancer! They will GO ALL THE WAY. I'm excited to see whats going to happen, last nights game went into overtime, and Sac could of had it, but they were tooo tired and over paied. So in my news, die of cancer Lakers....
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

SCREW YOU SPURS! With your knees bent running about behavior. I hope I hear of a riot in tommarows news. Ummm go.... Mavericks??? I guess...

On the plus side Lakers merchandise will not be as epensive in the off season. I need an "official Laker warmup suit" anyway. you know "just like the pros"=250$
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Spurs Eliminate Lakers
The Lakers' championship run came to an end Thursday as the Spurs posted a 110-82 victory in L.A. to advance to the Western Conference Finals. Tim Duncan dominated with 37 points and 16 boards. The Kings beat the Mavs 115-109 to stave off elimination and force Game 7 on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, TNT).

Ha ha ha, I told you the Lakers were going to lose, now Shaq cango home and screw Kobe. Do you know what you call 15 guys watching the NBA Championships? The Lakers!!!!
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Kings Force Game 7
The Kings survived a wild fourth quarter and edged the Mavericks 115-109 on Thursday to even their Western Conference Semifinals series at 3-3. Peja Stojakovic had 24 points for Sacramento, while Nick Van Exel poured in 35 for the Mavs. Game 7 is 8 p.m. ET Saturday in Dallas (TNT).
And whos team is going to go all the way??? You guessed it, The Kings. This game was one of the best of have seen, well next to the Lakers being handed their assh****. Go Kings!
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Pistons Push Sixers to Brink
Chucky Atkins' last-second finger roll counted after Derrick Coleman was called for goaltending as the Pistons edged the Sixers 78-77 Wednesday. Detroit can advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with a win in Game 6 on Friday in Philadelphia at 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN).

Atkins flipped in a running layup in the final second to give the Pistons a 78-77 victory over the 76ers and a 3-2 lead in their Eastern Conference semifinal series.

Detroit won its sixth straight postseason home game, including the last two from Philadelphia with last-second heroics. It can reach the conference finals for the first time in 13 years with a win on Friday at Philadelphia.

But the top-seeded Pistons would be staring at elimination if not for Atkins, who rescued them with a great shot that foiled a gritty comeback by the fourth-seeded 76ers.

"Basically, a miracle happened," Pistons rookie swingman Tayshaun Prince said.

Detroit never trailed until the waning moments, when Philadelphia's Eric Snow drained a three-pointer for a 77-76 lead with 9.4 seconds to play.

The Pistons called their final timeout and drew up a play that was disrupted when the Sixers used an extra foul they had on Atkins with 3.7 seconds remaining. Both teams looked disorganized before the ensuing inbounds pass.

"We knew they had a foul to give, so we expected that it was going to come off a reload," Pistons coach Rick Carlisle said. "I wanted to change who inbounded the ball and have Rip (Richard Hamilton) do it, but we still knew that they make inbounds passes tougher than any team in the league."

Hamilton passed to a cutting Atkins, who had gotten a step on Aaron McKie. He dribbled to the right baseline and lofted a shot that caught the rim, hit the backboard and was about to drop through when it was goaltended by Derrick Coleman with 0.9 seconds left.

"Atkins took the ball like a receiver on a pass pattern and made a great play," Carlisle said.

"Just please go in, that's all I was saying," Atkins said. "The guys kind of tease me all the time because they say every time I go in and throw a runner, it gets blocked. And I told them all the time in practice that it was going to win a game for us one time this year. I didn't know it was going to be a playoff game."

With no timeouts, the Sixers were reduced to a 60-footer by Allen Iverson that was not close. For the second time in as many games at The Palace of Auburn Hills, they saw a win slip away in the final seconds.

"I really don't think you can put it into words. I think everyone is just numb now," Sixers forward Keith Van Horn said. "Especially with the way we fought back, that's just the best way to put it -- I'm just numb."

In Detroit's Game 2 victory, Prince made the tying basket in the final seconds, then scored seven points in overtime. Prince had a similar basket in this game, giving the Pistons a 76-74 lead with 16 seconds to go.

Atkins scored 17 points as he continued to excel in place of the injured Chauncey Billups, who again sat out with a sprained left ankle.

"I can't be happier for Chucky right now with him being able to step in and play at this level on a stage like this," said Billups, who replaced Atkins as a starter after signing as a free agent. "It's unbelievable. I'm very happy for him."

"It's been a different year for me," Atkins said. "I haven't played as much as I wanted to play this year. I do it in the regular season, but now, unfortunately with the injury to Chauncey, I'm going to get more than my share of minutes and I'm just trying to show the people in the city, our fans and other people around the league that I deserve to be on a 50-win team and that I can play basketball."

Hamilton scored 18 of his 20 points in the first half for the Pistons, who relied on their league-leading defense. They held the Sixers to less than 37 percent (29-of-79) shooting and blocked 11 shots -- four by rookie Mehmet Okur and three each by Prince and Defensive Player of the Year Ben Wallace.

Philadelphia's prime culprits were Iverson and Van Horn, its top scorers during the regular season. Iverson, who had a solid all-around game with 14 points, nine assists and eight rebounds, made just 5-of-25 shots. Van Horn again encountered foul trouble and made just 2-of-10 shots.

"This game is one of my worst games in the playoffs," Iverson said. "I struggled shooting. I felt that my effort was there and I gave all the energy I had, I just didn't make shots tonight. I missed a lot of shots that I'm accustomed to making."

Coleman had 23 points and 11 rebounds and Snow scored 16 points for the Sixers, who hung around with a 51-37 rebounding advantage.

"I don't even know how we stayed in the game with the way Keith and Allen shot," Sixers coach Larry Brown said. "We kept defending and Derrick was phenomenal. A lot of guys stepped up to give us a chance to win. This one is really going to sting."

The Sixers trailed, 69-60, after a layup by Detroit's Jon Barry with 7:42 remaining. Iverson made a three-pointer and, after a dunk by Okur, Van Horn threw in a hook and Coleman drained a three-pointer to make it 71-68 with 4:36 left.

Okur responded with a three-pointer, but two free throws each by Coleman and Snow cut the deficit to 74-72 with 1:22 to go. Wallace broke up a pass by a driving Iverson but on the next possession could not jump out fast enough to stop his running bank shot that tied it with 34 seconds to play.

After a timeout moved Detroit to the frontcourt, Prince took steps before making the inbounds pass, a violation that was not called. He ended up with the ball and backed down Aaron McKie for a nifty spinning shot that reclaimed the lead for the Pistons.

"They walked on the sidelines with 16 seconds left, so it should have never even gotten that far," Brown said. "You can't walk when you inbound on the side."

Snow had made just seven three-pointers during the season and was 0-of-9 from the arc in the playoffs before his clutch shot.

"They leave me a lot, especially when Allen and the guys make plays to the basket, and Allen passed a backdoor cut to DC and I just try to go to the open space," Snow said. "I don't pretty much look to shoot three-pointers, but I just happened to be open and just be out there."

"That wasn't the play -- to be honest, we were looking to get to the line," Brown said. "But Allen penetrated and pitched and Eric made a huge shot."
Prince scored 13 points and Wallace pulled down 17 rebounds for the Pistons. McKie scored 10 points and Van Horn grabbed nine boards for the Sixers.

With Hamilton and Atkins making shots and Iverson and Van Horn missing, Detroit took control early. The Pistons made five three-pointers in the first quarter, racing to a 20-6 lead before settling for a 30-23 advantage.

I kind of put us in a bind early in the game," said Iverson, who missed 11 of his first 12 shots. "I rushed it more than I usually do and just moving so fast out there, being so anxious."

An ugly second quarter ended with Hamilton's 22-footer that provided a 45-36 bulge. Detroit rebuilt its lead to 12 points in the third quarter before taking a 63-57 advantage to the final period
MR.STRIKER
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by MR.STRIKER »

Twice as Sweep
It took two extra sessions of basketball, but the Nets moved on to the Eastern Conference Finals for the second time in as many years with a 110-101 2OT win in Boston on Monday. The Nets await the winner of the Sixers-Pistons series in the next round.Led by the continued stellar all-around play of Jason Kidd, the Nets fought off a last-gasp effort by the Celtics and completed a four-game sweep of their Eastern Conference Semifinal series with a 110-101 double-overtime victory.

"It's something that's never been done," New Jersey coach Byron Scott said of the first sweep in team history. "So just like last year, we had a lot of personal records for the organization and this is another one that we can kind of throw in there."

Fittingly, Kidd scored the final five points the Celtics allowed this season. He hit two free throws to make it 107-101 with 33 seconds left, then hit a three-pointer at the buzzer when it appeared the Nets would be content to run out of the clock.

"I was a little delirious," Kidd said. "The shot clock was running down and my instincts told me to shoot it and it went in. It wasn't anything to rub in Boston's face."

The Nets' point guard again endured vicious taunts by Boston fans, but had the last laugh, just missing a triple-double with 29 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists.

"I thought Kidd's performance was great," Scott said. "You know, he played fantastic. I mean, his engine was revved up from start to finish."

"The bottom line at the end of the night is that it's about basketball," Kidd added. "We aced them last year, we handled it great. I mean, you win with class and you lose with class."

Not even the presence of legends Bob Cousy, Tom Heinsohn and John Havlicek could prevent the Celtics from getting swept in a seven-game series for only the second time in the history of the NBA's most storied franchise. They also were swept by the Milwaukee Bucks in the 1983 Eastern Conference semifinals.

"Kidd is a tremendous leader for them," Boston guard Paul Pierce said. "He would never let them out of the ballgame."

The Nets, who erased an eight-point deficit in the final four minutes of regulation, eliminated the Celtics for the second straight year and have won six straight playoff games overall. They also became the first team in this year's postseason to win consecutive games on the road in the same series.

By closing out the Celtics, New Jersey earned a rest of at least five days. The Nets will play either Philadelphia or Detroit in the Eastern Conference finals, which will start no sooner than Sunday. That series is tied at two wins apiece.

"We won Game 3, so sitting around here in Boston for last three days, we said we might as well win Game 4," Kidd said. "Boston gave us everything they had. It was a great game and in the end, the ball just bounced our way."

Pierce scored 27 points and Tony Delk added a playoff career-high 23 for the Celtics, who took the Nets to six games in the Eastern Conference finals last season.

Kenyon Martin contributed 22 points for New Jersey, including all seven of his team's points in the first overtime.

The Celtics eventually were worn down by the Nets' superior depth. Kerry Kittles gave New Jersey the lead for good, hitting a 3-pointer that snapped a 99-99 tie with 3:57 left in the second overtime.

"They do have a good team," Boston forward Antoine Walker said. "I do wish them luck. Hopefully, we get better and come back strong next year."

After Martin's layup made it 104-99 with 2:21 left, Mark Blount missed a pair of costly free throws for the Celtics with 1:31 remaining.

Eric Williams' two foul shots pulled Boston within 105-101 with 36 seconds to go, but Kidd answered with a pair three seconds later, and the Celtics' hopes ended when Williams missed a layup on the ensuing possession.

Boston erased a six-point deficit with a 10-0 run early in the fourth quarter, taking a 79-75 lead on Pierce's jumper with 7:59 left. The Celtics appeared to be in control when Pierce's two free throws made it 84-76 with 4:10 remaining.

But the Nets responded with a 12-4 spurt, tying the contest on Martin's jump hook with 1:24 to go in regulation. Kittles' follow shot put the Nets up, 90-89, with 39 seconds to play.

Boston had a chance to regain the lead, but Williams could only convert 1-of-2 from the line with 17 seconds left.

Delk temporarily saved the Celtics, stripping Kidd as he began a drive with two seconds left and forcing the first overtime. Boston had the final possession in the first extra period, but Pierce missed a 22-footer from the left wing at the buzzer.

The Celtics came out with considerably more energy than in Game 3 and got an early lift from Delk, who scored 12 points in the first quarter, helping Boston to a 23-21 lead.

The Nets beat the Celtics at their own game in the second quarter, hitting 7-of-9 3-pointers in the period. In the first half, they converted 9-of-15 from beyond the arc while the Celtics were just 5-of-13. The strong outside shooting helped New Jersey grab a 50-49 lead at the intermission.

Boston clamped down defensively in the second half, not allowing another 3-pointer until Kittles' in the second overtime.