PGR 2

Anything relating to the internet, computers, or tech stuff is discussed here.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

PGR 2

Post by BigGunna »

Ok some *cough cough Shawn cough* have Everquest, some have Final Fantasy. But Im into Project Gotham Racing 2.

I got this game out of curiousity actually. I was going for NFS Underground but I heard it was kind of weak. This inticed me more because of it's online play. I mean I pay like 45$ for a broadband service that I use maybe 15 min a day, I was looking for that game that got me some online action.

First off it's a racing game, I'm a huge fan of the Gran Turismo games. When I first popped it in I was sort of unimpressed. After all GT3 was probably just the best racing game ever. But after 3 hotlaps I got into the groove (because your not supposed to read the instructions) I started having more fun with it than in Gran Turismo. Unlike many racing games it's not a regular go fast and win game. This one takes a little more skill than I'm used to. It's like an old skool game when you just went for the high score. You race for Kudos wich are points awarded for driving skillfully and succesfully, power slides, racing lines, clean sections even overtakes give you Kudos. You need a certian amout during an event to pass some levels. Sometimes you need to link these in combos. To pass the limit but also because you get a really annoying buzzer sound when you screw it up. With these kudos you can buy some of the 120 cars from a Classic Vette stingray to the new Bentley GT. And more should be coming online. They also play a huge roll in the Xbox live ranking system.

But the gameplay rivals the GT games, the same physics are used on the cars but unlike the GT games you can't just build your car to dominate. The levels look great as well, I've even heard one Aussie say that the Sydney track was an exact replica of the course from the buildings to the turns. And the graphics are sweet. GT 3 had some awesome lighting and reflection effects that amaze me still and aren't seen much in this game. But you get to crumple your car and the resolution is always sharp, so sharp you can pick off a car in the distance. You don't have much time to pay attentiong but the landscape and city landmarks all look really good.

I love the Xbox Live races, your racing and also hearing real reactions from others in the game if they have the headset. It gets real intense you're just so immersed in the game, I've even played races with my leather driving gloves on. Not because I'm crazy competitive or anything. You know when your driving for a long time and your hands start sticking to the wheel or the perspiration starts to bug you? Ok that and I wanted to win this race REALLY bad.