Kamping Kabin goes up in flames...

Anyone and everyone can post here.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kamping Kabin goes up in flames...

Post by Buzzman25 »

Hey all, been trying to find the time to write about my epic trip back to Tahoe, just have not found the time, so, to give you all another little shocker here's something that happened yesterday, February 6th 2005 at 9:30 AM at my campground.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/articl ... /102070014
Gas explosion levels rental cabin

Susan Wood, [email protected]
February 7, 2005

MEYERS - A KOA Campground cabin was demolished in an explosion Sunday that injured a Bay Area woman and sent debris soaring 50 feet from its foundation.

Built last summer, the structure laid in a heap of rubble from the 9:30 a.m. blast.

"It didn't even burn. The roof flew 20 feet in the air," Jennifer Mercado said, while walking to her vehicle holding a bag. Visibly shaken, she decided to check out a day early from the cabin she had rented and go home to Marin County. Her cabin - one of four occupied for the weekend- was about 100 feet from the one that exploded.

Her friend, Careana Clay - who was out on the deck of their cabin at the time - was slammed against the wall from the blast. She was transported to Barton Memorial Hospital complaining of neck pain.

Lake Valley Assistant Fire Chief Curt Warren estimated the damage at between $70,000 and $100,000. He reached down and pointed to a gas leak prompted by a cracked pipe and valve at the meter as the apparent culprit. Apparently, snow came off the roof, forming an ice cave around the meter that broke the seal.

Gas had seeped into the structure, and the explosion was triggered by an ignition-based source, perhaps a hot water heater turning on. The blast is under investigation.

"We've had several instances this winter where snow has come off the roof or meters haven't been cleared," Warren said. "This is why we stress to the homeowners to keep the snow clear."

KOA Campground owner Lisa McKinnon said nothing like this has ever happened on her property.

"And I've been here 26 years," she said, while rushing over to the site from her home.

Mercado said she contacted KOA management about a gas smell on Saturday.

McKinnon said she "smelled it and nothing was abnormal."

She added she checked the cabin and found nothing wrong.

At the outset of the explosion, she thought Caltrans was conducting avalanche controls.

"I was on my way to church," she said.
More pictures courtesy of Matt Williams.
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

That is absolutely incredible. Thank the Lord no one was inside!
Being driven slowly insane... One moment at a time. :twisted:
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Actually there was supposed to be someone camping that night, however they called the night before around 8:00 PM and said that they needed to cancel.

Now that's what I call Divine Intervention! O:)
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Holy shit dude!!!
-I don't need to prove my Machismo to anyone...I'll just kick their ass.
-Love everyone, trust no one.
-Live life like a sniper, you only get one shot so make it count
MCmasters_girl
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by MCmasters_girl »

Big Boom! Big Bah Dah BOOM!
TahoeJazzLover
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by TahoeJazzLover »

Praise God! We are so blessed that no one was in that cabin!!! God was protecting us! We’ve never had anything like that happen to us, although it is quite common that gas tanks explode due to the snow packed on top of them. This definitely has God’s hand all over it!
:D
The Lord is good; protection in troubled times, and He knows who trusts in Him. - Nahum 1:7
The greatest thing that you will ever learn
is just to love, and be loved in return.
-Nature Boy Eden/Ahbez
Andrea
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by Andrea »

Wow Thank God no one was hurt which building blew up? The main lodge?
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

It wasn't the main KOA building, it was one of the two lodges back where my old house used to be by the sears shack (storage shed). We've had them almost 3 years now. It's really kind of a bummer because they were starting to rent more often.

Darn snow. :(