My PHP-Nuke site almost a year old

Anyone and everyone can post here.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

My PHP-Nuke site almost a year old

Post by Buzzman25 »

So yeah, on December 13th this site in PHP-Nuke format will be a year old. phpBB, the bulletin board that I use and you're looking at now, is coming out with a new version, 2.2. I've been anticipating the new release because of all the cool new features and control it will give me for the message board. I plan on revamping some groups and changing things around, but all in all it should be very easy to get accustomed to.

The main purpose of this post is to find out what you liked about PHP-Nuke, because I'm thinking about doing away with it in hopes that phpBB will come out with their own portal system, as they have in thought on the back burner. I'm curious what you all liked about the nuke system, such as web links, news, statistics, journal, gallery, downloads, calendar, etc. If I was to go back to the base forum, what would you like to see come with it?

Do you like the journal feature? I've seen a few people post, but not many, and even I don't post there much anymore. Is the news worth anything, or should I just keep an announcement forum to keep things up to date? Do you even use downloads or web links? I've seen a few click-through but no one has ever submitted any links.

Gallery is going to stay, though I don't know how I'll be able to transfer over the comments and keep the usernames assigned to them. Gallery uses a flat file database to keep comments in, which sucks in my opinion, and until they push it over to a php-based comments table, I think I'm going to always lose the comments.

Did you like how nuke integrated with gallery so you could log in once and post with your username? Did you like it the other way where people had to log into gallery and post comments / pictures that way?

I'm overall trying to get a feel of what everyone would like to see stay when I upgrade to the new message board software. Let me know what you liked, disliked, and can't live without. Also, if there is something that you would like to see be added, let me know that too!

Thanks for your input, this may be my board, but I keep it up for all the people that chat here too. :)

P.S. If you want to see what 2.2 looks like you can see the CVS version that I play with here. Please note, that it's unsupported so there are a TON of things wrong with it. If you try and register it will tell you that it failed and to contact me but it's just a missing template. Go ahead and sign in with your chosen username and password, you don't need worry about the e-mail verification on the test site. If you want to try creating some style templates for when I release the site publically, IM, PM, e-mail, or call me and let me know what your username is and I'll give you style admin access to let you play around and see what color styles you can make.
Last edited by Buzzman25 on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

Yes
stand tall, stand proud
every beginning is breaking it's promise
i'm having trouble just finding some soul in this town
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

Ok, seriously though. The gallery is great, I've never bothered with the journal, the site is easy to use, and I know that you are waiting with bated breath for the new version to come out. I also know that you know what you are doing, so just keep doing it, and we'll be all for it.

A cool "Buzzman25" logo or banner would be cool for the top of the page though.
stand tall, stand proud
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

New banner 'eh?

Well I'm not much of an artist, but when the new version comes out anyone who creates a style will be able to design their own logo for my site, and maybe I'll hold a contest to see who can create the best default logo. Basically give anyone who wants to try a copy of the image I use for the default theme logo and whoever wins gets to have their logo as the site's primary logo.

The logo I made above, took 5 mins, and was just something I did since there was no original logo.
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

which logo that you made? the PHP/Nuke logo? Anyway, I'll try to have at least one logo creation posted by tonight. I'll use the dimensions of the PHP/Nuke logo at the basis for my logo. Too bad I only have Paint to use. But maybe some creative person out there with a good program (dementia) can take a few of my ideas and improve them.
stand tall, stand proud
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

Idea #1:

I kind of like the idea of having a bunch of pictures of the members in the lettering, a good way of saying "Buzzman25.com" and at the same time saying what it's all about. I used the best pictures I could find, but this is definitely a rough draft version of this logo.

I really like Gunna's picture in the M, but I think I'll move it to the 2 and put someone else in the M. I might also do something different with the background and change the lettering, but I wanted to put up this idea now.

Again, this was made in paint, so it isn't the best, but it does work well for a blueprint for a cleaner picture to be made with a better program. What do you all think?
stand tall, stand proud
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

i also need to change the 25 to make it the same size as the B, and find a cleaner picture of that sexy monster in the 5.
stand tall, stand proud
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

I just gotta swing by and say....that's friggin awesome. :D
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

thanks, i also think that it's super swank.

i'll put up my second idea later today when i get home.

maybe you can have the logo's rotate though a set like you do for the advertising at the top of the page. Or have differnent logos for the different styles on the board.
stand tall, stand proud
dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by dementiastar »

I definately like your idea for the banner fvolfrine, and i think the one you did is incredible...for work on Paint. I agree that you need to find a better shot of yourself to work with tho. that one isn't too great as far as lighting goes.
I'm sure I can bang something out that goes along with what you did, I'll have to come up with a few ideas and search through the images around here to find shots of people.
But I really like the banner you started with, good job :wink:

"I am allowed to sexually harass my boss."

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

awww, that makes me all sweaty.

or wait, no, that's because i just got back from a run.

thanks still
stand tall, stand proud
dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by dementiastar »

Thoughts? Ideas/Opinons? Volunteers for "n" and "2"?

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in 'team'. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up."
Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

how about me for the n, and . . . me for the 2!

is that Gunna in the M? hahahahahahahhaha!
stand tall, stand proud
dementiastar
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by dementiastar »

I could put you in the n and the 2...........howvere i would find one of you that is just as ridiculous as gunna's...possibly one of you with the radio active sunburn? :P
AHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!

Fvolfrine
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by Fvolfrine »

do you have that picture?
stand tall, stand proud