Gear Head thread

Anyone and everyone can post here.

Moderators: Super Moderator, Moderators

BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Gear Head thread

Post by BigGunna »

Yes I know I am up early. I just sent a req. to the dealership for a newer car.Mine is almost paid off. I love her and everything but I think she's getting a little old. I don't want to strain her with these long ass hauls I've been doing. The way I see it these are my options...

Keep her and try to get a newer car
Sell her and get a newer car
Keep her and get a sportbike as my alternate transportation
Keep her and modify her, No newer car

It's soooooo hard though she's my baby, we've been through so much together. I know everything that is wrong with her etc.

I'll post pics of my car latter in the day. This is what I'm looking at...
Last edited by BigGunna on Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buzzman25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Buzzman25 »

Well man...after hearing about what happened on your last trip I think it might be time to get a new car. :?

I know that you love that car, and heck, I love that car! The look of it just kicks ass! So...with that said, here are a few things to consider...
  1. If you kept the car, would you financially be able to afford the GT?
  2. If you keep the car, would storage be an issue?
  3. If you keep the car, would you at some time be able to repair it, or would it just sit outside, get old, and die?
  4. If you keep the car, do you think you can pay for a new car and pay for the restoration as per my last question?
  5. If you trade in your car, you'll be ahead of the game to pay back your new GT, the question is is it worth the amount they want to give you for it? If they want to give you a small number it might be better to keep it if you can deal with questions 1 - 4.
  6. Don't get a sports bike unless you plan to use it to help reduce pollution and for exercise. Riding to work at 11:00 PM and riding back home at 6:00 AM during the dead of winter you'll want to strangle someone.
  7. I don't think trying to fix up your current car is such a viable option since if it breaks you are without transport, and you'll probably end up in the long run being able to afford that GT! As I stated before, if you can, try to keep it as your restoration project.
  8. If you are going to sell it, try both venues. Check the dealership to see what they are offering, check http://www.KellyBlueBook.com to see it's value, and also try to see if you can sell it yourself. Selling it yourself you can usually get more cash as you stated, so, why not? You put the option to keep both, so if you can afford both, why not sit on it and wait to see if you can get a bite of what your asking for? If worst comes to worst you can always go back to the dealership if you fall to around that price.
If I could do it, had the funds, and answered appropriately to all the questions above, I'd keep it for a cruiser / remodel project, and go for the newer car. Just remember that on the new car, KEEP UP WITH REGULAR MAINTENANCE! I don't doubt that you would, but I know the fastest way to trash a car is to not keep it maintained.

Midas has this thing that you pay $100 for lifetime oil-changes on the car. Each oil change from then on is only $3 for the disposal costs. After 6 oil changes or 18,000 miles, you've paid off the $100! I know we like changing our own oil, but this makes it so much easier then doing it ourselves. We drive in, we wait 20 minutes to 1 hour, and drive away knowing that everything is taken care of.....or else we sue them. ;)
"This is at the bottom of every post" - 007Xtreme 3/23/03
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Well Buzz since you are somewhat "the accountant" :wink: I will answer your ?'s. I've been running the same ?'s through my mind all day.

1. As long as my payments are relative it shouldn't be a prob.
2. Not really It's not like I wont drive it I just need ro finagle another parking spot.
3. That is actually why I want another mode of transport. So I have something to get around in while I do repairs or modifications
4. Kinda sorta. As you know it's an ongoing project. It's more of a time issue ie I don't have the time to work on the car and get stuff done in it.
5. I think not. They usually give you 2G's or so for a trade in. After just having paid over 7k (with intrest) I'd want to get more for it, you know?
6. Yeah... more than usual.
7. Exactly, memories in that car are priceless.
8. Did that. The only prob with selling it publicly is that it will take a long time.

I do most of the matinece myself because I'm picky. The oil thing is cool as far as price. But I only use a full sythetic and a KN oil filter. They use the cheapest shit because of the high volume.

As promised here is the pic for those of you who havent seen my baby...
The pic gave me the red X so just go here
http://www.mustanglife.com/showownerpic ... album=7146
Venus de Tahoe
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by Venus de Tahoe »

Go for the new stang! That black coupe is the off the hook. What a beautiful car. I would get something exactly like that if my credit was good enough to finance it. I love Mustangs.

But don't trade your car in, sell it on autotrader.com or maybe Ebay Motors and then you'll have a good sized down payment.

:)
"Nothing's gonna change my world."
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

get rid of your current ride you got a be crazy to do that, hell I don't know anything about cars, but yours is sweet It just wouldn't seem right to sell her

can't say much about the new black mustang, I've been living in the military and just the sheer number of brand new mustangs i see parked out in the lot here just makes me sick.
when most of the cars are brand new stangs, it takes away all the style and cool factor of the car it just takes away the point
You're not your character class
You're not how much gil you have in the bank
You're not the airship you fly
You're not the contents of your item screen
You're not your fuggin' armor
You are the all fightin' all spellcasting heros of the world
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Venus de Tahoe wrote:Go for the new stang! That black coupe is the off the hook. What a beautiful car. :)
Actually it's Kat's fault. She promised me I could drive her new Stang but they sold it. :(
Just for that she gets... ImageThe WhaddupNow I'm hot stuff bouncey bouncey pose

That and the fact that the alternator caught fire in SoCal last week.(long story) so now I'm looking at THE BLACK BEAST. It might take me a few months of shopping to find the right one but...

It will be A V8 GT
It will be a Coupe
It will be Black
It will be mine (in 4-6 years)
And NO ONE ELSE WILL DRIVE IT. Maybe the Vert if your lucky 8)
MCmasters_girl
Active Listener
Active Listener

Post by MCmasters_girl »

I say get a T-bird. They come in Black, Coupe, and V8. and they are still by Ford, so you know you are getting a Great product.
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

I was looking up specs on the T bird. In this corner...

*ding ding*

2003 T bird
Convertible with optional hard top
Price: 37,420$ 8O (That's only 2K less than a Cobra!)
Engine: 3.9 32 valve DOHC V8
Torque: 280 lbs
VS.

2003 Mustang GT Coupe
Price: 24,330 (Mach 1=29,330, COBRA=38,460)
Engine: 4.6 SOHC V8
Torque: 302 lbs

Just in comparison to newer models. It will be a 2000-ish model. I hate the fact that a new car depriciates 7k when you take it off the lot! I'm also not really looking fwd to paying an extra 10k to look and feel like an old guy.
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

naw T-bird just isn't Gun's style, he should go with a mustang its more fitting

I however will spend the remainder of this debate drooling at the T-bird
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Ok... I am sooooooooooo not selling my car!After working on it, sweating and scraping my nuckles I think I've invested too much into our relationship that I can't kick her to the curb. I figure I'll do some shopping around but if I do get the new car it might stay stock for a while. Which will drive me nuts. I'm starting to modify it even more, just ordered some suspension parts. I might beaquiring a 2000ish GT or maybe even save for the new 05 Mustang...

Video of the new beast
DarksideZero
Forum Participant
Forum Participant

Post by DarksideZero »

smart move your car has too much sentimental value to let anyone else have it,

still drooling at Tbird
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Update for those who care...

Ok so it's been a little while but I think I have decided on one of these two lovely ladies.

I've been doing the research for the past few months and It comes down to these two. The only thing that sucks is that I'll probably have it for a few days before I put it in storage.
Last edited by BigGunna on Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaudDib125
Forum Activist - Go you!
Forum Activist - Go you!

Post by MaudDib125 »

If your going with a motorcycle go with da red one
Being driven slowly insane... One moment at a time. :twisted:
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

The color is secondary, I'm going for power and ergonomics. Best of all is that right now it's a buyers market. I can come up on a good used bike 98-01 for less than 4K or brand new one for 8K. Which is much cheaper than a 16k used GT or a 24k New one.
BigGunna
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post by BigGunna »

Ok so yeah, I got my motorcycle permit (hold your applause please). I couldn't wait to get out on a motorcycle. It was exiting almost like sex, seriously, just talk to Sha...some gut who hasn't had it in a while and he'll eventually say " I need to get laid".

I even went down to Michaels power sports in Reno and Carson. I thought that would help me clear my mind of such crazyness. So I walk in and harps start playing as I see the pearly gates, pretty much in heaven. All of them are there sitting so pretty. YZF's, R1's, Ninja's, CBR's, Why even the infamous Hayabusa is there in great numbers.

TheI found this awesome 2003 Black Katana 750. AKA THE STALLION (well maybe not but I'd call it that). One of the sales guys sees me eying it and I asked some questions about it and it's right up my alley. less than 1k miles and going for about 5,600. He said the last kid probably wet himself too many times riding it. Which is evident by a few battle wounds the bike has on the right side. But you can't even notice unless you look close, nothing is cracked or damaged just paint.He then says "go ahead and sit on it" I got on the Black beast. Ooooooooh boy that thing was meaty.I stood the bike up and started to hum...test the shocks. Man that thing was heavy. I could hear some of the gas sloshing around as I brought it up in herculian fashion.I could just imagine myself holding on for dear life as I hit an apex.

Then I snapped out of it. He asked me how long I was riding. I'm like looking for my first bike. And the guy was toatlly honest. "Just one of the options, things change real quick around here." And so ends my little feild trip.

Wants it... my precious